'So You Think You Can Dance' Reveals Top 20, One Dancer Gets Injured
After making it through the auditions, 157 dancers on "So You Think You Can Dance" season 11 returned for callbacks. The June 25 episode started with solo routines. The regular judges, Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, as well as guest judges director Adam Shankman, dancer Stephen "tWitch" Boss, ballerina Irina Dvorovenko and figure skater Tara Lipinski didn't comment on the performances, but cut 34 dancers in this round.
Next, the remaining dancers had to learn choreography routines. Choreographer Christopher Scott and season 10 runner-up Jasmine taught the contestants a hip-hop routine and they were split into couples. Among those making it to the next round were Jessica Richens, Amanda Mitchell and Marquet Hill.
The dancers later learned jazz routine from famed choreographer Sonya Tayeh. Last year's winner Amy Yakima helped Sonya demonstrate the dance. Alla Kocherga injured her knee during rehearsal and she was later cut, but her partner Zack Everhart moved on to the next round along with Serge Onik, "Johnny Waacks" Gibson, Rudy Abreu and Jourdan Epstein.
Dmitry Chaplin and Anya demonstrated the ballroom routine. One dancer chipped his tooth after accidentally getting elbowed in the mouth by his partner. Zack Everhart and Valerie Rockey shone in this round and passed.
Later, choreographer Travis Wall and season 10's contestant Mackenzie Dustman demonstrated the contemporary number. Bridget Whitman fell during her performance and was asked to dance for her life, but eventually made it through to the next round.
Fifty dancers remained and they were divided into groups of five for a group performance. Forty-four dancers were left after this round and they danced solo routines to get the spot in the Top 20. Among those who impressed the judges and make it to the live show were Ricky Ubeda, Jessica Richens, Jacque Lewarne, Teddy Coffey and Emilio Dosal, who joined the competition last season but had to withdraw because he suffered a broken nose and had to have surgery.
- Casey Askew (contemporary)
- Emilio Dosal (hip-hop)
- Marcquet Hill (ballroom)
- Nick Garcia (ballroom)
- Ricky Ubeda (contemporary)
- Rudy Abreu (contemporary)
- Serge Onik (ballroom)
- Stanley Glover (contemporary)
- Teddy Coffey (hip-hop)
- Zach Everhart (tap)
- Bridget Whitman (contemporary)
- Brooklyn Fullmer (ballroom)
- Carly Blaney (contemporary)
- Emily James (contemporary)
- Jessica Richens (jazz)
- Jourdan Epstein (ballet)
- Malene Ostergaard (ballroom)
- Tanisha Belnap (ballroom)
- Valerie Rockey (tap)
- Jacque LeWarne (ballet)
- Report: John Mayer Dating Natalie Morales
- Report: Jennifer Garner's 'Pregnant and Alone' After Ben Affleck Divorce Filing
- '13 Reasons Why' Is Near Season 2 Renewal on Netflix
- Chris Soules Called 911 After Deadly Car Crash, Tried to Help Victim
- 'Alien: Covenant' New Prologue Reveals 'Prometheus' Big Mystery
- Johnny Depp Surprises Pirates of the Caribbean Riders at Disneyland as Captain Jack Sparrow
- Drake and Draymond Green Mock Each Other in Hilarious Meme War
- Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff to Reunite for First Live Performances in 12 Years