'Game of Thrones' Likely Skips Book Twist, Michelle Fairley Says
"Game of Thrones" viewers who read the book might have expected the resurrection of one beloved character in season 4. When the book twist, [SPOILER ALERT!] which has Catelyn Stark being brought from the dead by Thoros of Myr as the vengeful Lady Stoneheart, didn't happen until the season 4 finale, fans took to social media to express the disappointment.
Now in new interviews, Michelle Fairley confirms that her character likely won't return on the show. "Yeah, the character's dead. She's dead," the Lady Catelyn depicter tells Entertainment Weekly.
She explains, "You respect the writers' decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can't stick to the books 100 percent. It's impossible-they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show."
The actress, who stars on "24: Live Another Day", repeats the statement in an interview with TV Guide. "Catelyn Stark is dead, I'm afraid. I'm sorry to say it, but she's dead," she says. "Unfortunately, people might be expecting one thing, but it doesn't happen. It's life."
"Game of Thrones" wrapped up its fourth season on June 15. The show is expected to return with the new season in 2015.
More Game of Thrones News
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season