'Game of Thrones' Likely Skips Book Twist, Michelle Fairley Says
"Game of Thrones" viewers who read the book might have expected the resurrection of one beloved character in season 4. When the book twist, [SPOILER ALERT!] which has Catelyn Stark being brought from the dead by Thoros of Myr as the vengeful Lady Stoneheart, didn't happen until the season 4 finale, fans took to social media to express the disappointment.
Now in new interviews, Michelle Fairley confirms that her character likely won't return on the show. "Yeah, the character's dead. She's dead," the Lady Catelyn depicter tells Entertainment Weekly.
She explains, "You respect the writers' decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can't stick to the books 100 percent. It's impossible-they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show."
The actress, who stars on "24: Live Another Day", repeats the statement in an interview with TV Guide. "Catelyn Stark is dead, I'm afraid. I'm sorry to say it, but she's dead," she says. "Unfortunately, people might be expecting one thing, but it doesn't happen. It's life."
"Game of Thrones" wrapped up its fourth season on June 15. The show is expected to return with the new season in 2015.
More Game of Thrones News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered