Demi Lovato: My Grandfather Came Out as Gay in the 1960s
Demi Lovato revealed that his grandfather was gay. The "Neon Lights" singer, who is a supporter of LGBT community, shared the news when she attended Logo TV's Trailblazers in New York City on Monday, June 23. "I've never spoken about this before, but my grandfather was a trailblazer himself," she said before presenting an award to "Orange Is the New Black", as quoted by E! News.
"He was brave enough to come out in the 1960s, and I feel that a lot of my spirit has come from him. He passed away a few years later and I only wish he could have been able to see all the progress that has been made," Lovato added. "It's such an honor to be welcomed and embraced by the LGBT community, so thank you very much."
At the Monday night event, the 21-year-old singer rocked a figure-hugging black dress by Brian Lichtenberg. She completed her look with a pair of black-and-white Roberto Cavalli shoes and jewels by AS29. Other stars who were also present at the event honoring supporters of LGBT rights included Adam Levine, Nate Ruess, Daniel Radcliffe, Joe Manganiello, Lance Bass and Pete Wentz.
In addition to the Netflix series, the event honored Edie Windsor and her lawyer Roberta Kaplan who contributed to the Defense of Marriage Act overturn. Bass honored NBA star Jason Collins while Michael Stipe honored activist John "Longjones" Abdallah Wambere from Uganda.
More Demi Lovato News
- New 'Luke Cage' Trailer Reveals Surprise Cameos
- Jessica Simpson's Marriage in Trouble? She and Husband Reportedly 'Fighting Non-Stop' for Months
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Which Pairs Win Immunity in Face-Off Week?
- Rob Kardashian Tweets Kylie's Number as He Blasts His Family for Snubbing Blac Chyna
- Report: Drake Is Actually Gay and His Rihanna Romance Is Fake
- Tom Holland Spotted Filming 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in NYC Subway
- Audrina Patridge Shares Sweet Photo of Her Breastfeeding Her Daughter
- 'Will and Grace' Stars Reunite for Hillary Clinton Endorsement Video