'Survivor' Contestant Caleb Bankston Dies After Train Derailed
Former contestant on "Survivor: Blood vs. Water", Caleb Bankston, has passed away at the age of 26. As reported by PEOPLE, Bankston died on Tuesday, June 24 in a railway accident. Bankston, who worked at the Alabama Warrior Railway in Birmingham, placed ninth in the competition. Watco Companies L.L.C. told the AP that one worker died in a train derailment, but did not disclose the identity.
Calling Bankston "an amazing man and friend," fellow contestant Aras Baskauskas added, "One of the sweetest and most sincere humans I've ever come across. I am gutted by his loss. My thoughts and prayers are with his family."
Sabrina Thompson, who competed with Bankston's fiance Colton Cumbie on "Survivor: One World", recalled how Cumbie kept talking about Bankston. "While playing 'Survivor' with Colton, he would talk about his boyfriend, Caleb, around the clock 24/7. Within seconds of meeting Caleb at the finale and 'Survivor' events, it's no wonder why he raved about him. You were instantly drawn to his big smile, warm spirit and Southern charm. May God rest his soul ...gone too soon," Thompson said.
Bankston and Cumbie reportedly planned to get married in October. Cumbie's Twitter account is locked, but according to other users, he wrote, "I just wish it was me," shortly after the news broke, Mail Online reports.
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle