Gary Oldman Apologizes for 'Offensive' Comments in Playboy
Gary Oldman has apologized for "insensitive" remarks he made in a recent interview with Playboy. The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" actor issued an apology to the Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday, June 24. "I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy interview were offensive to many Jewish people," he said.
"Upon reading my comments in print - I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter," he continued.
"I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish people, persecuted thorough [sic] the ages, are the first to hear God's voice, and surely are the chosen people," the Sirius Black depicter in "Harry Potter" movies added.
In an interview published in July/August edition of Playboy, Oldman commented on Mel Gibson who landed in hot water after he made anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 arrest. "Mel Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn't need to feed him anymore because he's got enough dough," he told the magazine.
In response to Oldman's remarks in the interview, ADL director Abraham H. Foxman said, "Gary Oldman's remarks irresponsibly feed into a classic anti-Semitic canard about supposed Jewish control of Hollywood and the film industry."
He added, "He should know better than to repeat and give credence to tired anti-Semitic tropes. Mel Gibson's ostracization in Hollywood was not a matter of being 'politically incorrect,' as Mr. Oldman suggests, but of paying the consequences for outing himself as a bigot and a hater. It is disturbing that Mr. Oldman appears to have bought into Mr. Gibson's warped and prejudiced world view."
- Katy Perry Is the Most-Followed Person on Twitter With Record-Breaking 90 Million Followers
- Here's Nick Young's Response to Iggy Azalea's Cheating Claims
- First Image From 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' Season 2 Reveals Surprising New Ally
- Drake Caught Leaving Rihanna's Hotel Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Lady GaGa Is Finally a Licensed Driver
- Check Out the New Drift in 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Louis Tomlinson Blasts Media, Asks Them to Respect Son's Privacy Amid Custody Battle
- Iggy Azalea Receives Flowers From Nick Young's Teammate D'Angelo Russell After Breakup?