Gary Oldman Apologizes for 'Offensive' Comments in Playboy
Gary Oldman has apologized for "insensitive" remarks he made in a recent interview with Playboy. The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" actor issued an apology to the Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday, June 24. "I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy interview were offensive to many Jewish people," he said.
"Upon reading my comments in print - I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter," he continued.
"I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish people, persecuted thorough [sic] the ages, are the first to hear God's voice, and surely are the chosen people," the Sirius Black depicter in "Harry Potter" movies added.
In an interview published in July/August edition of Playboy, Oldman commented on Mel Gibson who landed in hot water after he made anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 arrest. "Mel Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn't need to feed him anymore because he's got enough dough," he told the magazine.
In response to Oldman's remarks in the interview, ADL director Abraham H. Foxman said, "Gary Oldman's remarks irresponsibly feed into a classic anti-Semitic canard about supposed Jewish control of Hollywood and the film industry."
He added, "He should know better than to repeat and give credence to tired anti-Semitic tropes. Mel Gibson's ostracization in Hollywood was not a matter of being 'politically incorrect,' as Mr. Oldman suggests, but of paying the consequences for outing himself as a bigot and a hater. It is disturbing that Mr. Oldman appears to have bought into Mr. Gibson's warped and prejudiced world view."
- Justin Bieber Turns Down $5M Offer to Perform at RNC
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role