Lyric Sheets of Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' Sell for $2M at Auction
As predicted, the handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan's hit "Like a Rolling Stone" was sold for $2 million at an auction in New York on Tuesday, June 24. According to auction house Sotheby's, the sale sets a world record for a popular music manuscript.
"Like a Rolling Stone" is considered one of the greatest rock songs ever. Before being sold to an unidentified bidder, the lyric sheets were owned by someone whom Sotheby's previously said was a fan "who met his hero in a non-rock context and bought directly from Dylan."
The lyrics were written in pencil on four sheets of paper belonging to the Roger Smith hotel in Washington D.C. The sheets also feature doodles of a hat, an animal with antlers and a bird, and numerous revisions and additions to the lyrics.
"[It's] the only known surviving draft of the final lyrics for this transformative rock anthem," the auction house has said.
Other items sold at the Tuesday auction included the manuscript of another Dylan song called "A Hard Rain" ($485,000), a Vox guitar organ owned by John Lennon ($305,000) and Elvis Presley's flamboyant jumpsuits from his days performing in Las Vegas ($245,000).
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic