Lyric Sheets of Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' Sell for $2M at Auction
As predicted, the handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan's hit "Like a Rolling Stone" was sold for $2 million at an auction in New York on Tuesday, June 24. According to auction house Sotheby's, the sale sets a world record for a popular music manuscript.
"Like a Rolling Stone" is considered one of the greatest rock songs ever. Before being sold to an unidentified bidder, the lyric sheets were owned by someone whom Sotheby's previously said was a fan "who met his hero in a non-rock context and bought directly from Dylan."
The lyrics were written in pencil on four sheets of paper belonging to the Roger Smith hotel in Washington D.C. The sheets also feature doodles of a hat, an animal with antlers and a bird, and numerous revisions and additions to the lyrics.
"[It's] the only known surviving draft of the final lyrics for this transformative rock anthem," the auction house has said.
Other items sold at the Tuesday auction included the manuscript of another Dylan song called "A Hard Rain" ($485,000), a Vox guitar organ owned by John Lennon ($305,000) and Elvis Presley's flamboyant jumpsuits from his days performing in Las Vegas ($245,000).
More Bob Dylan News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media