Lyric Sheets of Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' Sell for $2M at Auction
As predicted, the handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan's hit "Like a Rolling Stone" was sold for $2 million at an auction in New York on Tuesday, June 24. According to auction house Sotheby's, the sale sets a world record for a popular music manuscript.
"Like a Rolling Stone" is considered one of the greatest rock songs ever. Before being sold to an unidentified bidder, the lyric sheets were owned by someone whom Sotheby's previously said was a fan "who met his hero in a non-rock context and bought directly from Dylan."
The lyrics were written in pencil on four sheets of paper belonging to the Roger Smith hotel in Washington D.C. The sheets also feature doodles of a hat, an animal with antlers and a bird, and numerous revisions and additions to the lyrics.
"[It's] the only known surviving draft of the final lyrics for this transformative rock anthem," the auction house has said.
Other items sold at the Tuesday auction included the manuscript of another Dylan song called "A Hard Rain" ($485,000), a Vox guitar organ owned by John Lennon ($305,000) and Elvis Presley's flamboyant jumpsuits from his days performing in Las Vegas ($245,000).
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It