George Lucas to Open Narrative Art Museum in Chicago
Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (LMNA) is coming to Chicago. A spokesman for the museum has confirmed that "Star Wars" creator George Lucas selected the city over Los Angeles and San Fransisco to future house his collection of art and movie memorabilia.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel expressed his joy of the selection, saying on Tuesday, June 24, "George Lucas has revolutionized the art of storytelling over the last four decades and we are honored to be the recipient of this incredible legacy investment that will allow everyone to learn about and experience narrative arts." He added, "No other museum like this exists in the world, making it a tremendous educational, cultural and job creation asset for all Chicagoans, as well as an unparalleled draw for international tourists."
Lucas was born in Modesto, California but pursued his career in San Francisco. He lived in Chicago part-time and is married to a Chicago native, Mellody Hobson. "Choosing Chicago is the right decision for the museum, but a difficult decision for me personally because of my strong personal and professional roots in the Bay Area," Lucas said in a statement.
LMNA is set to be located on parking lots between Soldier Field and McCormick Place and will open in 2018. It will house artworks by the likes of Normal Rockwell, John Tenniel and Maxfield Parrish as well as Lucas' Hollywood memorabilia such as a scale model of the Millennium Falcon and movie posters.
An official announcement from the museum board is expected to be made on Wednesday after they draw a vote.
- Colin Farrell Joins Tim Burton's 'Dumbo' live-Action Movie
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction