Daytime Emmys Red Carpet Hosts Slammed for Rape Joke and Racist Remark
The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences' attempt to hype up Daytime Emmy Awards on social media backfired. The organization hired social media mavens, Vine star Brittany Furlan, style vlogger Lauren Elizabeth, beauty vlogger Jessica Harlow, and style and beauty vlogger Meghan Rosette, to host the event's live-streamed red carpet preshow on Sunday night, June 22, but unfortunately viewers were offended by their ignorant and bad humor.
At one point when interviewing actor Ryan Paevey, Furlan said, "We're going to get you away from us before we rape you." Harlow, meanwhile, called "The Bold and the Beautiful" star Lawrence Saint-Victor "a beautiful chocolate man" before asking him, "What's it like to be a black man on a soap opera these days?"
Commenting of the red carpet hosts' performance, soaps.com said that they "know nothing about daytime television, came unprepared to the red carpet, conducted themselves in a very unprofessional manner, spewed profanity, a rape joke and a racist remark."
Paevey himself has responded to the tasteless joke, saying that he had expected to be asked about daytime TV but ended up becoming a subject of a rape joke. The "General Hospital" actor tells The Associated Press that such remarks "kind of derailed the spirit of the evening." Paevey adds that if an apology is due, it should come from the red carpet hosts for their backstage behavior, especially for their racist comment made to actor Lawrence Saint-Victor.
The 41st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards was hosted by Kathy Griffin and streamed live on the official site.
- Lady GaGa Annoyed by Traffic in 'Carpool Karaoke'. Get the Sneak Peek!
- Ryan Lochte Celebrates His Dog's 8th Birthday for Three Consecutive Years
- Rihanna Asks for Help to Find Her Missing Backup Dancer Shirlene Quigley
- Report: Britney Spears Is Filming 'Slumber Party' Music Video
- 'The Walking Dead' Alternate Take on Negan Kills Leaks Online
- Michael Fassbender Reveals New Name of Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant', New Details Leak
- Kim Kardashian Drops Lawsuit After Tabloid Apologizes for Fake Robbery Claims
- Pharrell Releases Two New Songs From 'Hidden Figures' Soundtrack