Daytime Emmys Red Carpet Hosts Slammed for Rape Joke and Racist Remark
The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences' attempt to hype up Daytime Emmy Awards on social media backfired. The organization hired social media mavens, Vine star Brittany Furlan, style vlogger Lauren Elizabeth, beauty vlogger Jessica Harlow, and style and beauty vlogger Meghan Rosette, to host the event's live-streamed red carpet preshow on Sunday night, June 22, but unfortunately viewers were offended by their ignorant and bad humor.
At one point when interviewing actor Ryan Paevey, Furlan said, "We're going to get you away from us before we rape you." Harlow, meanwhile, called "The Bold and the Beautiful" star Lawrence Saint-Victor "a beautiful chocolate man" before asking him, "What's it like to be a black man on a soap opera these days?"
Commenting of the red carpet hosts' performance, soaps.com said that they "know nothing about daytime television, came unprepared to the red carpet, conducted themselves in a very unprofessional manner, spewed profanity, a rape joke and a racist remark."
Paevey himself has responded to the tasteless joke, saying that he had expected to be asked about daytime TV but ended up becoming a subject of a rape joke. The "General Hospital" actor tells The Associated Press that such remarks "kind of derailed the spirit of the evening." Paevey adds that if an apology is due, it should come from the red carpet hosts for their backstage behavior, especially for their racist comment made to actor Lawrence Saint-Victor.
The 41st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards was hosted by Kathy Griffin and streamed live on the official site.
- Louis Tomlinson Blasts Media, Asks Them to Respect Son's Privacy Amid Custody Battle
- Iggy Azalea Receives Flowers From Nick Young's Teammate D'Angelo Russell After Breakup?
- Daniel Radcliffe Plays Corpse on Red Carpet of 'Swiss Army Man' Premiere
- Matthew McConaughey Could Be Your Teacher. Actor Is Going to Teach at University of Texas
- Drake 'Never Stops' Loving Rihanna
- 'Underworld: Blood Wars' Release Date Is Pushed Back to 2017
- Amber Rose on Kanye West's 'Famous': 'I've Worked My F***ing Ass Off'
- Kris Jenner, 60, Is Reportedly Trying for Another Baby