Jared Leto Will Not Star in 'Brilliance'
Jared Leto is no longer expected to join the cast and crew of "Brilliance", Nikki Finke has learned. The 30 Seconds to Mars vocalist met with the film's director Julius Onah early last week and said he was interested in the project before he changed his mind.
Leto is not the first actor who has turned down the lead role in the flick based on the book of the same title by author Marcus Sakey. Will Smith was previously attached to play a federal agent named Nick Cooper before he exited the project to work on another feature film.
"Brilliance" is set in a world where rare people called Brilliants are born with special abilities. Using his abilities, Cooper tries to save the world from a dangerous Brilliant who plans to ignite a civil war. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "Prometheus" fame Noomi Rapace has signed on to play the female lead.
Had Leto replaced Smith, it would have been his first major starring role since winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for "Dallas Buyers Club" earlier this year. Meanwhile, rumors suggest the actor/singer is currently eyed to play the lead in Marvel's "Dr. Strange".
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift