Gary Oldman Slams People Who Condemn Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin
Gary Oldman bashes "hypocrites" who condemn Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin in an interview with Playboy for its July/August issue. Speaking to the magazine, the "Harry Potter" star also slams "double standards" in Hollywood.
Gibson once received backlash after he was recorded making racist remarks and threats. He also made anti-Semitic rant when he was arrested for DUI in 2006. Addressing controversy around Gibson, Oldman says, "I don't know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things."
"We're all f*****g hypocrites. That's what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n****r or that f**king J**? I'm being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy," he continues.
The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" star then mentions Baldwin who landed in hot water after he threw homophobic slur at a paparazzo who tried to take photos of his wife and baby daughter. "Alec (Baldwin) calling someone a F** in the street while he's pissed off coming out of his building because they won't leave him alone. I don't blame him," Oldman tells the magazine.
"So this interview has gone very badly. You have to edit and cut half of what I've said, because it's going to make me sound like a bigot," the 56-year-old actor tells the interviewer. Asked if he is bigot, Oldman replies, "No, but I'm defending all the wrong people. I'm saying Mel's all right, Alec's a good guy. So how do I come across? Angry?"
"It's dishonesty that frustrates me most. I can't bear double standards. It gets under my skin more than anything," he continues, mentioning that comedians such as Bill Maher and Jon Stewart "could call someone a f** and get away with it."
A spokesperson for Oldman then released a statement to The Independent to address the actor's statement about Gibson. "On the topic of Mel Gibson, Gary does not 'defend' him," the spokesperson said. "Noteworthy, however, is that other artists - notably Robert Downey Jr. and Jodie Foster - have loudly defended Mel Gibson spanning the past few years."
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie