Ansel Elgort to Play Cold War Pianist in 'Van Cliburn'
Ansel Elgort has locked his next starring role after claiming his fame as the lead actor in the romantic drama "The Fault in Our Stars". The 20-year-old actor is set to play the titular role of "Van Cliburn", an American pianist who won International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition in Moscow at the height of the Cold War.
Per Deadline, the film is based on the Howard Reich book "Van Cliburn" that sees the pianist in his formative years. At 23, Cliburn won the first piano competition organized by USSR who wanted to show its superiority at a time when tensions between them and America were sky high. Cliburn impressed the judges with his skill and made it to the final where he received a long standing ovation from the audience.
The judges had to ask permission from the Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev to deliberate the result and give the first prize to an American. "Is he the best?" Khrushchev asked. "Then give him the prize!" The Texas native was credited for bridging the Cold War.
The film will reunite Elgort with Temple Hill partners Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen who worked with him in "Fault in Our Stars". Andrew Stern is assigned to write the script.
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease