Ansel Elgort to Play Cold War Pianist in 'Van Cliburn'
Ansel Elgort has locked his next starring role after claiming his fame as the lead actor in the romantic drama "The Fault in Our Stars". The 20-year-old actor is set to play the titular role of "Van Cliburn", an American pianist who won International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition in Moscow at the height of the Cold War.
Per Deadline, the film is based on the Howard Reich book "Van Cliburn" that sees the pianist in his formative years. At 23, Cliburn won the first piano competition organized by USSR who wanted to show its superiority at a time when tensions between them and America were sky high. Cliburn impressed the judges with his skill and made it to the final where he received a long standing ovation from the audience.
The judges had to ask permission from the Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev to deliberate the result and give the first prize to an American. "Is he the best?" Khrushchev asked. "Then give him the prize!" The Texas native was credited for bridging the Cold War.
The film will reunite Elgort with Temple Hill partners Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen who worked with him in "Fault in Our Stars". Andrew Stern is assigned to write the script.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce