Video: Sam Smith Performs Touching Cover of Whitney Houston's 'How Will I Know'
Sam Smith amazes the world again, this time with his cover of Whitney Houston's classic "How Will I Know". The British singer performed a stripped down version of the 1985 upbeat song during his visit to SiriusXM Hits1 in New York City on Friday, June 20.
Smith emotionally sang the track while being joined by a keyboardist and a guitarist. Despite having come out as a gay, he opted to change the line "how do I know if he really loves me" into "how do I know if you really love me."
"A Whitney Houston song that makes me happy - it's a feel-good song," Smith told Rolling Stone of the track. "I love the juxtaposition of a melancholy lyric with an upbeat sound. People forget that's how she rose to fame. The more mature Whitney, like 'I Will Always Love You', came later."
This has been a great year for Smith. The 22-year-old star released his debut album, "In the Lonely Hour", in his home country last month and it peaked at No. 1 on U.K.'s Albums Chart. On June 17, the record arrived in the U.S. and has been projected to open at No. 2 on Billboard 200 this week.
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture