Video: Sam Smith Performs Touching Cover of Whitney Houston's 'How Will I Know'
Sam Smith amazes the world again, this time with his cover of Whitney Houston's classic "How Will I Know". The British singer performed a stripped down version of the 1985 upbeat song during his visit to SiriusXM Hits1 in New York City on Friday, June 20.
Smith emotionally sang the track while being joined by a keyboardist and a guitarist. Despite having come out as a gay, he opted to change the line "how do I know if he really loves me" into "how do I know if you really love me."
"A Whitney Houston song that makes me happy - it's a feel-good song," Smith told Rolling Stone of the track. "I love the juxtaposition of a melancholy lyric with an upbeat sound. People forget that's how she rose to fame. The more mature Whitney, like 'I Will Always Love You', came later."
This has been a great year for Smith. The 22-year-old star released his debut album, "In the Lonely Hour", in his home country last month and it peaked at No. 1 on U.K.'s Albums Chart. On June 17, the record arrived in the U.S. and has been projected to open at No. 2 on Billboard 200 this week.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance