Video: Sam Smith Performs Touching Cover of Whitney Houston's 'How Will I Know'
Sam Smith amazes the world again, this time with his cover of Whitney Houston's classic "How Will I Know". The British singer performed a stripped down version of the 1985 upbeat song during his visit to SiriusXM Hits1 in New York City on Friday, June 20.
Smith emotionally sang the track while being joined by a keyboardist and a guitarist. Despite having come out as a gay, he opted to change the line "how do I know if he really loves me" into "how do I know if you really love me."
"A Whitney Houston song that makes me happy - it's a feel-good song," Smith told Rolling Stone of the track. "I love the juxtaposition of a melancholy lyric with an upbeat sound. People forget that's how she rose to fame. The more mature Whitney, like 'I Will Always Love You', came later."
This has been a great year for Smith. The 22-year-old star released his debut album, "In the Lonely Hour", in his home country last month and it peaked at No. 1 on U.K.'s Albums Chart. On June 17, the record arrived in the U.S. and has been projected to open at No. 2 on Billboard 200 this week.
More Sam Smith News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media