Artist of the Week: Passenger
Passenger enjoyed releasing his albums quietly and serving as a supporting act at pal Ed Sheeran shows before he reached international success following the arrival of his breakthrough single, "Let Her Go". The song, lifted from his 2012 LP "All the Little Lights", became one of 2013's biggest hits as it peaked at No. 1 on many charts including three Billboard charts despite the singer's low expectation.
"I didn't love the album when it came out so it's ironic that it was the first one anyone noticed," he said of the album that peaked at No. 3 on the chart in his home country of the U.K. Earlier this month, Passenger returned with a new album called "Whispers" that he had said was the best album he'd ever done.
"I'm really proud of it, actually," he told Radio.com in a recent interview. "I'm sure most artists say this, but I think it's the best thing I've ever done. I think it's the songwriting has come on quite a lot and the production is better on this record as well."
Passenger, who spent quite some time in Australia and played numerous shows in the country after his band Passenger broke up back in 2009, recorded the album in Sydney. "I've got this weird relationship with Australia. For the last five years I've been playing on the streets so much and Australia has such wonderful weather," he explained and then revealed that he recorded "Whispers" at the same studio he recorded "All the Little Lights" with the same group of musicians and producer.
"I was very conscious of the fact that just because we had success with 'Let Her Go' and that album that didn't necessarily want to change everything. I love the people that I've built relationships with. I trusted them with my music. We have fun and enjoy making records together. I wanted to go back into that environment. We've all learned a lot since the last album so we approached this is quite a different way," he said.
"Whispers" was met with mostly positive reviews. It debuted at No. 12 on Billboard 200, No. 5 on Billboard's Top Rock Albums and at No. 1 on Billboard's Folk Albums chart. It has so far spawned two singles, "Scare Away the Dark" and "Heart's on Fire".
More Passenger News
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?