Casey Kasem Remembered in Private Memorial
Mourners remembered the late radio legend Casey Kasem in a private memorial service over the weekend. According to a representative for the family, Danny Deraney, the memorial for the former host of "American Top 40" was attended by about 100 family members, friends and colleagues.
The mourners gathered at a church in Bel Air area on Saturday, June 21. They listened to Kasem's voice as he introduced songs from Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell and the Bee Gees. Among the mourners were the radio host's three children, but his wife Jean Kasem was not present. Kasem's three children spoke at the event. Musician David Campbell played a violin rendition of Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns".
Kasem, who voiced Shaggy on "Scooby Doo", passed away on June 15 at a hospital in Gig Harbor, Washington. He suffered from Lewy body disease, a progressive form of dementia, prior to his death at the age of 82.
Shortly after the beloved radio legend's passing, his children Kerri, Mike and Julie shared memories of their father in an interview with PEOPLE. "He taught us to be selfless, humble and passionate about doing the right thing no matter how difficult or long the road may be. I am who I am because of my dad," Kerri said.
"The reason our dad was able to touch so many hearts around the world on Sunday mornings [with American Top 40] was because every word he spoke was 100 percent genuine," Mike additionally told the magazine. Julie, meanwhile, remembered that her father always cared about her days at school and "encouraged me to work hard."
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3