The Guardian Releases Audio Interview Following Lana Del Rey's 'I Wish I Was Dead' Controversy
The Guardian has released an audio recording from Lana Del Rey's interview in which she told them, "I wish I was dead," after the singer slammed the U.K. media in some Twitter posts. On Thursday, June 19, the "Ultraviolence" singer took to Twitter to criticize the interviewer Tim Jonze, saying that he led her to make her say something interesting.
"I regret trusting the Guardian- I didn't want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles Maybe he's actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about ... His leading questions about death and persona were calculated," read the now-deleted tweets. In the posts, Del Rey confused Jonze with Alexis Petridis, who wrote a review for her album "Ultraviolence" for the publication.
Jonze responded to Del Rey's statement on Friday. "Besides the fact Lana doesn't remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me. She may well have not wanted to do the interview, but it certainly didn't seem like it," he wrote, adding that the singer seemed happy to chat with him over the allotted time.
"It's not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive - it's a dark question, but it's not a leading one," Jonze explained. "She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she'd been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album 'Born to Die' and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was."
"Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about," he added. "She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been 'twisted' or that we've printed them out of context."
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series
- Pregnant Alanis Morissette Completely Naked in This Beautiful Underwater Photo
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand