The Guardian Releases Audio Interview Following Lana Del Rey's 'I Wish I Was Dead' Controversy
Warning: DOMDocument::loadHTML(): htmlParseEntityRef: expecting ';' in Entity, line: 1 in /home/aceshow/public_html/mobile/m_php/amp_nview.php on line 702
The Guardian has released an audio recording from Lana Del Rey's interview in which she told them, "I wish I was dead," after the singer slammed the U.K. media in some Twitter posts. On Thursday, June 19, the "Ultraviolence" singer took to Twitter to criticize the interviewer Tim Jonze, saying that he led her to make her say something interesting.
"I regret trusting the Guardian- I didn't want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles Maybe he's actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about ... His leading questions about death and persona were calculated," read the now-deleted tweets. In the posts, Del Rey confused Jonze with Alexis Petridis, who wrote a review for her album "Ultraviolence" for the publication.
Jonze responded to Del Rey's statement on Friday. "Besides the fact Lana doesn't remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me. She may well have not wanted to do the interview, but it certainly didn't seem like it," he wrote, adding that the singer seemed happy to chat with him over the allotted time.
"It's not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive - it's a dark question, but it's not a leading one," Jonze explained. "She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she'd been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album 'Born to Die' and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was."
"Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about," he added. "She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been 'twisted' or that we've printed them out of context."
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group
- Artist of the Week: DJ Snake
- Idris Elba Confirms He Is Done Filming His Part in 'The Dark Tower'
- Kylie Jenner Gets Banned From Entering Club Where Tyga Performs. Here's Why