'Star Wars Episode VIII' Gets 'Looper' Helmer Rian Johnson to Direct and Write
J.J. Abrams will not be the director of "Star Wars Episode VIII", it has been reported. Instead, "Looper" and "Brick" director Rian Johnson will take over the directing the job in addition to writing the script.
No official announcement has been made but The Wrap has heard from "two individuals with knowledge of the director's plans" that Johnson is deeply involved in the "Star Wars" franchise. He is also set to write for the ninth movie although the directing duty will be handed to someone else.
Johnson seemingly hinted at the commitment by cryptically tweeting a clip from 1983's "The Right Stuff" in which Scott Glenn's character prays, "Dear lord, please don't let me f**k up."
Johnson is not the only young director entrusted to tackle a "Star Wars" movie. Disney and Lucasfilm hired "Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards and "Chronicle" director Josh Trank to make spin-offs which details are still kept under wrap.
Disney CEO Bob Iger said they planned to release one "Star Wars" film each year in between the trilogy. "Star Wars Episode VIII" is scheduled for 2017.
More Star Wars: The Last Jedi News
- Girls' Generation Graces the Cover of W Korea for Their 10th Anniversary
- Kanye West Gives Paralyzed Fan Custom Yeezy Boots
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Hire 18 New Staff for Twin Kids
- Blac Chyna Is Starring in Nicki Minaj's New Music Video
- Ryan Seacrest Is Officially Returning to 'American Idol'
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell