'Star Wars Episode VIII' Gets 'Looper' Helmer Rian Johnson to Direct and Write
J.J. Abrams will not be the director of "Star Wars Episode VIII", it has been reported. Instead, "Looper" and "Brick" director Rian Johnson will take over the directing the job in addition to writing the script.
No official announcement has been made but The Wrap has heard from "two individuals with knowledge of the director's plans" that Johnson is deeply involved in the "Star Wars" franchise. He is also set to write for the ninth movie although the directing duty will be handed to someone else.
Johnson seemingly hinted at the commitment by cryptically tweeting a clip from 1983's "The Right Stuff" in which Scott Glenn's character prays, "Dear lord, please don't let me f**k up."
Johnson is not the only young director entrusted to tackle a "Star Wars" movie. Disney and Lucasfilm hired "Godzilla" director Gareth Edwards and "Chronicle" director Josh Trank to make spin-offs which details are still kept under wrap.
Disney CEO Bob Iger said they planned to release one "Star Wars" film each year in between the trilogy. "Star Wars Episode VIII" is scheduled for 2017.
More Star Wars: The Last Jedi News
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake