Glen Campbell's Wife Explains Singer's Medical Care Following Daughter's Criticism
Country singer Glen Campbell's wife Kim Woolen has released a statement to explain her decision to transfer the legend's medical care to a facility in Nashville. In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Kim explains that the "Rhinestone Cowboy" singer now needs long term care after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2011.
"It is crushingly sad to see him afflicted with Alzheimer's but indulging those feelings does not help him," Glen's wife of 30 years says. "I am his wife and no one wants him home more than me but I must do what is in his best interest."
"He has longtime friends here in Nashville who come to play music for him and give him hugs," she explains further. "He has activities and therapies to stimulate him and help him experience daily moments of success. His life is filled with love and laughter and he is being cared for round the clock by people who specialize in Alzheimer's care and happen to adore him."
The statement was released after the singer's oldest daughter Debby Campbell said in an interview with Country Weekly that she wanted to remove him from the facility and bring him home with her in Arizona. "I think my dad deserves better than this," she told the magazine, which is on stands now.
"I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but I don't think he's getting the attention that he needs. If I felt that [his family in Nashville] was spending hours with him and eating meals with him, it would be different. If I lived there, I would want to spend from the time he wakes in the morning until the evening with him ... But why can't I do that in the comfort of my own home with him instead of flying to Nashville and going to a care facility?" Debby added.
Debby, who is Glen's daughter from a previous marriage, added that Woolen had not responded to her request. "He wants to go home. Numerous times he has told me that," she said.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics