Critics' Choice TV Awards 2014: 'Orange is the New Black', 'Fargo' Are Big Winners
TV stars gathered at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Los Angeles on Thursday, June 19 to celebrate the best achievement in the industry at the 4th Annual Critics' Choice Television Awards. Presented by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, the show which aired on The CW was hosted by Cedric the Entertainer.
The night saw "Orange is the New Black" and "Fargo" among the roster of winners. Both shows dominated the list with three each, with the former winning Best Comedy Series title over the likes of "The Big Bang Theory", "Louie" and "Veep".
Star Kate Mulgrew edged out castmate Laverne Cox as Best Supporting Actress in Comedy Series, but shared the title with "Mom" star Allison Janney, who also won Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series for her role on "Masters of Sex". "OITNB" added another trophy through Uzo Aduba, who was dubbed Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series.
"Fargo", meanwhile, won Best Miniseries and Best Actor in a Movie or Miniseries for Billy Bob Thornton. Thornton beat out strong competitors which included his own co-star Martin Freeman, as well as the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Mark Ruffalo. The FX crime drama nabbed its third prize that night through Allison Tolman's Best Supporting Actress win.
Other winners with multiple awards included "Breaking Bad", which won the coveted Best Drama Series in addition to helping Aaron Paul win Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, and "The Normal Heart", which took home Best Movie and Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Miniseries gong, the latter of which for Matthew Bomer's performance as Ruffalo's on-screen boyfriend.
Though losing the Best Drama title, "True Detective" picked up one as Matthew McConaughey was chosen as the Best Actor in a Drama Series. "Big Bang Theory" and "Veep" didn't come home empty-handed either, for Jim Parsons and Julia Louis-Dreyfus won Best Actor and Best Actress in a Comedy Series for their roles in respective show.
Tatiana Maslany ("Orphan Black") grabbed the Best Actress in a Drama Series, Jessica Lange ("American Horror Story: Coven") was named Best Actress in a Movie or Miniseries, and Bellamy Young ("Scandal") nabbed the Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series title.
At the awards-giving event, TV producer/writer Ryan Murphy was honored with Louis XIII Genius Award. The "Glee" creator and "Normal Heart" director poked fun at himself when delivering his acceptance speech, reading mean tweets about him. "Ryan Murphy is a genius ... at sucking," he read one of them. He additionally claimed that the advice he gave to young people was, "Surround yourself with more talented people ... and then take all the credit."
- Best Comedy Series: "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)
- Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)
- Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep" (HBO)
- Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Andre Braugher, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (FOX)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Allison Janney, "Mom" (CBS); Kate Mulgrew, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix) (tie)
- Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series: Uzo Aduba, "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)
- Best Drama Series: "Breaking Bad" (AMC)
- Best Actor in a Drama Series: Matthew McConaughey, "True Detective" (HBO)
- Best Actress in a Drama Series: Tatiana Maslany, "Orphan Black" (BBC America)
- Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad" (AMC)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Bellamy Young, "Scandal" (ABC)
- Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series: Allison Janney, "Masters of Sex" (Showtime)
- Best Movie: "The Normal Heart" (HBO)
- Best Miniseries: "Fargo" (FX)
- Best Actor in a Movie or Miniseries: Billy Bob Thornton, "Fargo" (FX)
- Best Actress in a Movie or Miniseries: Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story: Coven" (FX)
- Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Miniseries: Matthew Bomer, "The Normal Heart" (HBO)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Movie or Miniseries: Allison Tolman, "Fargo" (FX)
- Best Reality Series: "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" (FOX/National Geographic Channel)
- Best Reality Series - Competition: "Shark Tank" (ABC)
- Best Reality Host: Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" (FOX/National Geographic Channel)
- Best Talk Show: "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" (NBC)
- Best Animated Series: "Archer" (FX)
- Louis XIII Genius Award: Ryan Murphy
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris