Truck in Tracy Morgan Crash Was Speeding, NTSB Says
The National Transportation Safety Board has released a preliminary report on a June 7 crash which severely injured Tracy Morgan and killed one passenger. According to the report which was released on Thursday, June 19, a Wal-mart truck which rear-ended Morgan's limo that day was driven 20 mph above the limit.
According to a device which recorded the truck's performance, the truck went at 65 mph for 60 seconds before the crash on the New Jersey Turnpike although there was a sign to reduce the limit to 45 mph because of construction work. Back then, Morgan's car had slowed down due to traffic congestion. The truck hit Morgan's car and caused chain crash.
The Thursday report also reveals that the truck driver Kevin Roper reported for work at 11:22 A.M. on June 6. He "had logged 9 hours 37 minutes of driving time when the crash occurred. With respect to the maximum 14-hour consecutive duty period for commercial motor vehicle drivers, the driver had logged 13 hours 32 minutes at the time of the collision," the report read. Roper's total driving time was below 11 hours allowed by federal limits.
Morgan suffered from numerous broken bones following the crash. Earlier this week, the former "30 Rock" star's representative said that the actor was upgraded to fair condition. The crash also severely injured two other passengers, Jeffrey Millea and Ardie Fuqua. Millea's condition was upgraded to fair while Fuqua remains critical.
Roper pleaded not guilty to one count of vehicular homicide and assault by auto against four individuals during a court appearance on June 11.
More Tracy Morgan News
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group
- Artist of the Week: DJ Snake
- Idris Elba Confirms He Is Done Filming His Part in 'The Dark Tower'
- Kylie Jenner Gets Banned From Entering Club Where Tyga Performs. Here's Why