'Prometheus' Writer Jon Spaihts to Polish 'Dr. Strange' Script
"Dr. Strange" gets a new writer. Jon Spaihts, who co-wrote Ridley Scott's "Prometheus", is hired to complete the first draft written by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer. "Doctor Strange was always my favorite Marvel hero. It's a good day," Spaihts tweeted.
The movie follows an arrogant and selfish surgeon Stephen Strange whose hands were damaged in a car accident. He gets superpower while seeking a conventional healing in Tibet and rises to become a Sorcerer Supreme a.k.a. Marvel Universe's greatest protector against magical peril.
Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") is confirmed to direct the Marvel film. Jared Leto, Tom Hardy, and Benedict Cumberbatch are reportedly in the mix to play the key character, but no official confirmation has been made so far.
Derrickson said of Dr. Strange to Joblo, "I think when you consider the work that I've done it makes sense that he'd be my favorite comic book character, at least in the Marvel universe. Probably the only comic character in that mainstream world that I'm suited to."
He went on, "I feel such an affinity for the character and the story and the ambition of those comics, especially the original Stan Lee and Steve Ditko 'Strange Tales' - I think those are my favorite of all of them. The entire history of the comics is extraordinary."
"I think the nicest surprise for me, the most unexpected surprise, is the positive reaction," the director added. "Both to me getting the film - I guess I expected the detractors, and they just haven't been there, it's all been quite positive. More than that, it's just the general enthusiasm for Doctor Strange."
"I think people who know the comic world and the Marvel universe, they all feel the same way I do, which is, 'This is the Marvel movie we're all ready to see now.' This movie needs to exist. The outpouring of excitement that people have shown is the thing I've been most pleasantly surprised."
- Kim Kardashian's Terrified Family's Lavish Lifestyle 'Has Affected' Kanye West's Mental State
- French Montana Partying With Chris Brown and Migos in 'Hold Up' Music Video
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Was 'Racially Profiled' for Wearing Headscarf at Airport
- 'Iron Fist' Featurette Reveals Details of 'Daredevil' Villain Madame Gao, New Motion Poster Arrives
- Aaron Paul and WGN America Are Developing Jack Daniel's Series 'Blood and Whiskey'
- Amber Tamblyn and Husband David Cross Welcome Baby Girl - See the Funny Announcement
- Tom Hiddleston Hints at Loki's Scene and Funnier Thor in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Chris Brown Posts Another Disturbing Rant After Karrueche Tran's Granted Restraining Order