Aaliyah's Family Will Block Lifetime's Biopic
It appears that Lifetime's plan to make an Aaliyah biopic will face an obstacle. A few days after the network announced the casting of Zendaya Coleman as the late singer, Aaliyah's family has allegedly shown their disapproval to the project.
According to TMZ, the "Back & Forth" hitmaker's uncle and former manager Barry Hankerson says that the family is unhappy that Lifetime did not contact them about the project. Hankerson adds that the family thinks a TV movie "is too small for someone as big as Aaliyah" but would approve a feature film about the singer.
The family has reportedly hired a lawyer to block the release of the planned biopic and will do anything to make sure the Lifetime movie doesn't use any of Aaliyah's music.
In a message posted to Aaliyah's memorial Twitter account, they say, "Unfortunately we cannot confirm the family is behind the project at this time. However, we do ask that you are respectful to the artist playing the role, for they may not fully have or know the details about this role."
Lifetime has not responded to the report.
Meanwhile, Zendaya has reacted to criticisms about her casting for "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B". Taking it to Twitter, the "Shake It Up" alumna wrote, "She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her."
"Show how much she accomplished in only 22 years....she's beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven," she continued in another post. The "Zapped" star added, "I'm just a 17 year old girl who got cast to play one of her biggest inspirations #positive."
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending
- Kevin Jonas and Wife Danielle Announce Sex of Their 2nd Baby. Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Calvin Harris Blames Paparazzo for Another Car Accident, but Then Apologizes