Zendaya on Being Cast for Aaliyah Biopic: 'I Really Want It to Be Perfect for Her'
Zendaya Coleman has seemingly reacted to criticisms against her casting in Lifetime's Aaliyah biopic. In an interview on Tuesday, a day after the news was announced, the 17-year-old singer/actress/dancer explained why she's the right choice for the part.
"I really want it to be perfect for her and show young people what she was able to do and what she accomplished," the Disney star said. "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself."
Realizing that not all fans approved of her casting, the former "Shake It Up" star added, "I can't please everybody ... what I can do is work really hard and you know, just continue to show her legacy."
She believes that, as a star who reached success at a young age, she can relate to Aaliyah who released her debut album at 15 years old. "I feel like she grew up so young and she grew up in the industry ... and she just had to deal with so much," she said. "I connect with that."
The upcoming biopic, "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B", is based on slim biography "Aaliyah: More Than a Woman" by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher Farley. It will depict "the life of the actress and R&B sensation who, at the height of her stardom, tragically died in a plane crash."
Bradley Walsh will direct the TV movie with a script provided by Michael Elliot. Aaliyah Productions, Inc. will produce it, while Howard Braunstein and Debra Martin Chase will serve as executive producers.
Some fans who disagree with Zendaya's involvement in the project started a petition to halt the movie. They also use Twitter account under the handler @noaaliyahmovie to show their disapproval.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Reportedly Trying for Twins
- Kim Kardashian Is Jealous of Kourtney's Banging Bikini Body
- From Jail to Cannes! 'Hot Felon' Jeremy Meeks Partying With Nicki Minaj at amfAR Gala
- Your Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Stars Will Get More Screen Time in Season 7
- Kylie Jenner Reportedly Pregnant With Travis Scott's Baby
- Leonardo DiCaprio Mingles With Bella Hadid in Cannes, Sparks Romance Rumors
- See Ben Affleck Hilariously Imitating Christian Bale's Batman for Red Nose Day
- Zayn Malik Regrets His 'Fifty Shades' Duet With Taylor Swift