Zendaya on Being Cast for Aaliyah Biopic: 'I Really Want It to Be Perfect for Her'
Zendaya Coleman has seemingly reacted to criticisms against her casting in Lifetime's Aaliyah biopic. In an interview on Tuesday, a day after the news was announced, the 17-year-old singer/actress/dancer explained why she's the right choice for the part.
"I really want it to be perfect for her and show young people what she was able to do and what she accomplished," the Disney star said. "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself."
Realizing that not all fans approved of her casting, the former "Shake It Up" star added, "I can't please everybody ... what I can do is work really hard and you know, just continue to show her legacy."
She believes that, as a star who reached success at a young age, she can relate to Aaliyah who released her debut album at 15 years old. "I feel like she grew up so young and she grew up in the industry ... and she just had to deal with so much," she said. "I connect with that."
The upcoming biopic, "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B", is based on slim biography "Aaliyah: More Than a Woman" by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher Farley. It will depict "the life of the actress and R&B sensation who, at the height of her stardom, tragically died in a plane crash."
Bradley Walsh will direct the TV movie with a script provided by Michael Elliot. Aaliyah Productions, Inc. will produce it, while Howard Braunstein and Debra Martin Chase will serve as executive producers.
Some fans who disagree with Zendaya's involvement in the project started a petition to halt the movie. They also use Twitter account under the handler @noaaliyahmovie to show their disapproval.
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones
- Mariah Carey Threw James Packer's Laptop Out the Window After He Played a Beyonce Song
- Ariana Grande Is Sued Over 'One Last Time', Previews New Music Video Ft. Nicki Minaj
- New Set Pics Hint at 'Transformers: The Last Knight' 's Connection With Arthurian Mythology
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Ariana Grande and More Featured in 'Trolls' Soundtrack Album
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves