Zendaya on Being Cast for Aaliyah Biopic: 'I Really Want It to Be Perfect for Her'
Zendaya Coleman has seemingly reacted to criticisms against her casting in Lifetime's Aaliyah biopic. In an interview on Tuesday, a day after the news was announced, the 17-year-old singer/actress/dancer explained why she's the right choice for the part.
"I really want it to be perfect for her and show young people what she was able to do and what she accomplished," the Disney star said. "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself."
Realizing that not all fans approved of her casting, the former "Shake It Up" star added, "I can't please everybody ... what I can do is work really hard and you know, just continue to show her legacy."
She believes that, as a star who reached success at a young age, she can relate to Aaliyah who released her debut album at 15 years old. "I feel like she grew up so young and she grew up in the industry ... and she just had to deal with so much," she said. "I connect with that."
The upcoming biopic, "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B", is based on slim biography "Aaliyah: More Than a Woman" by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher Farley. It will depict "the life of the actress and R&B sensation who, at the height of her stardom, tragically died in a plane crash."
Bradley Walsh will direct the TV movie with a script provided by Michael Elliot. Aaliyah Productions, Inc. will produce it, while Howard Braunstein and Debra Martin Chase will serve as executive producers.
Some fans who disagree with Zendaya's involvement in the project started a petition to halt the movie. They also use Twitter account under the handler @noaaliyahmovie to show their disapproval.
- Justin Theroux Joins 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Mischa Barton Reveals Emotional Abuse and Blackmail by Ex-Boyfriend Who Leaked Her Sex Tape
- Jordan Peele Eyed to Direct Manga Adaptation 'Akira'
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 New Teaser Shows 'Long Walk' to the Throne
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App