Lorde's Parents Got Engaged in Niagara Falls
Lorde shared happy news on Monday, June 16, saying she had finally seen "a diamond in the flesh." Her parents, Vic O'Connor and Sonja Yelich, got engaged after 30 years together.
"BEST DAY," Lorde tweeted on Monday night. "Went to Niagara Falls - my dad proposed to my mum after almost 30 years together." She added a bunch of emojis such as heart, diamond ring, rose and smiley faces at the end of her tweet.
She would later make a reference to her hit "Royals" which has the lyrics, "I've never seen a diamond in the flesh / I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies / And I'm not proud of my address / In a torn-up town, no postcode envy." She tweeted, "Inevitable response yes I know I have seen a diamond now."
The family were in Canada where Lorde performed at the 2014 MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto on Sunday. She took home International Video of the Year for her hit song.
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna