Rick Rubin Confirms Working With Kanye West on 'Yeezus' Follow-Up
Rick Rubin has been hired to work on Kanye West's new album. The producer/Def Jam co-founder, who also contributed to the success of West's latest LP "Yeezus", revealed in an interview on BBC Radio 1 that he and the rapper had just started and they were still "looking at vocal ideas for things for the next album."
"There were loads of great ideas and there were many many tracks and we listened to everything together," he recalled when West came to him with the demos from his new project. "He originally came over and said 'I wanna come play you my new album' and I thought we'd be listening to a finished album."
"Then we listened to about three hours of music, most of which didn't have vocals, and at the end I was like 'wow, so what's it gonna be?' I'm thinking it's a year away and he was like 'well, I'm putting it out in like 5-6 weeks.' It was just a funny conversation because it was completely normal to him, it's just the way he works," he continued.
During the interview, Rubin also praised West. He said, "I love him. I think he's a great guy, super smart and from a creative standpoint, I can't think of anyone who has been more consistently great from the time they started making music until now. I can't think of anyone else. I think he's the most consistently great creative person in music today."
"Yeezus" was released last year and peaked at No. 1 on Billboard 200. Not much has been revealed about the album's follow-up, which is expected to hit the stores later this year. Back in December, West said that his seventh studio effort would feature only "eight songs."
Recently, Billboard reported that the album had 12 songs in it. "Out of six heard, it's mostly a mixture of soul samples and tamed 'Yeezus'-esque darkness... nothing abrasive," a source told the site.
More Kanye West News
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip
- Katie Holmes Looks Gloomy Amid Rumor She Gets 'Dumped' by Jamie Foxx
- New 'Game of Thrones' Set Video Captures the Monumental Meeting
- Jay-Z to Host Clinton Concert Aimed at Young Black Voters in Ohio
- Here's the First Look at Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock on 'Ocean's Eight' Set
- Lady GaGa Annoyed by Traffic in 'Carpool Karaoke'. Get the Sneak Peek!
- Ryan Lochte Celebrates His Dog's 8th Birthday for Three Consecutive Years