Michael Schumacher Is Out of Coma
Former F1 driver Michael Schumacher who was in a coma since a ski accident in December has awoken. On Monday, June 16, his management released an update on Schumacher's condition, saying that he had left the hospital in Grenoble, France to continue treatment in another hospital.
"Michael has left ... to continue his long phase of rehabilitation," read the statement from his manager Sabine Kehm. "The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. We are sure it helped him. For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."
Officials at the University hospital in Lausanne, Switzerland confirm to CNN that the F1 driver was admitted to the hospital. The facility is about 20 miles away from Schumacher's family estate.
Schumacher suffers from brain injuries following a fall in the French Alps on December 29. He has been receiving treatment at the Grenoble hospital since the accident. "He was wearing a helmet and was not alone. For his fall, no other person was involved," Kehm said back then.
German soccer player Lukas Podolski, who is also a good friend of the seven-time F1 champion, expressed his happiness on Twitter after learning that Schumi was out of coma. "What a great news!!! Get well soon Schumi!!! I'm so glad and happy when I just heard it! #schumi #getwellsoon #poldi," he wrote.
In a press conference prior to a 2014 World Cup match against Portugal, Podolski told reporters that he and his teammates would work hard for the trophy. "The DFB [the German Football Association], the team and I continue to wish his family strength. We hope he will be back on his feet soon and eventually he will be able to see one of our matches," he said on Saturday, as reported by Blid. "If we win the World Cup then it is something which could give him some joy."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance