'Rob Ford the Musical: Birth of a Ford Nation' Begins Open Casting
A number of Rob Ford lookalikes showed up at the Second City Training Centre in Toronto Monday, June 16 to audition for a project that will bring the mayor's story to the musical stage. The show is expected to open in mid-September, just ahead of the mayoral election in October.
The main characters in the upcoming play include Ford's brother Doug Ford and author Margaret Atwood, who clashed with Doug over proposed cuts to library funding. It also reportedly involves a spiritual guide named Transgression who tries to show the politician the error of his ways.
The mayor is currently in rehab for substance abuse. He has sparked controversies with his admission to smoking cocaine, expletive-laden videos, and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" appearances among others. He is expected to complete his treatment in early July.
The hopefuls did their best impression. Geoff Stone from Belleville even shaved part of his head and dyed his remaining hair blonde to resemble Ford's thinning hair. Dave Miller sang the Barenaked Ladies' "Brian Wilson", a song about the drug-addicted The Beach Boys member. Travis Hay covered Amy Winehouse's "Rehab".
Writer Brett McCaig describes the musical as Shakespearean, Dickensian and operatic. He said the audition was "colour-blind casting" but someone with stature similar to Ford's would be ideal.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation