Marcus Callender and Jason Mitchell to Play Dr. Dre and Eazy-E in N.W.A Biopic
Two relatively-unknown actors are added to the cast ensemble of "Straight Outta Compton". Marcus Callender and Jason Mitchell are tapped to portray Dr. Dre and Eazy-E respectively. They are joined by O'Shea Jackson Jr. who is set to play his father Ice Cube.
Dr. Dre reportedly originally wanted Michael B. Jordan to play him in the upcoming drama, but the actor who rose to stardom with "Fruitvale Station" was already attached to "The Fantastic Four". Meanwhile, Cube has been campaigning to get his son in the biopic.
The movie will depict the rise and fall of the Compton, California-based rap group N.W.A. Other members of the hip-hop group included MC Ren and DJ Yella. Arabian Prince was also among the founding members, but he left shortly after MC Ren joined the gang.
Cube and Dre serve as producers for the biopic along with Eazy-E's widow Tomica Woods-Wright. F. Gary Gray ("The Italian Job") will be directing from a script by Jonathan Herman. Cube described it as a "dramatic story that encompasses hip-hop, dope-dealing, Reaganomics, AIDS, LAPD, rap feuds, FBI, PMRC, the Parental Advisory stickers on the records... all of it."
- Brad Pitt Is Cocky General in Teaser for Netflix's 'War Machine'
- Oprah Winfrey Considers Running for President, Thanks to Donald Trump
- Andi Dorfman Sparks Plastic Surgery Rumors
- Madonna Is Turning to Ex Sean Penn Amid Adoption Crisis
- 'Beauty and the Beast' Will Feature Disney's First Gay Character
- Jay-Z and Chris Martin Enjoy Night Out in WeHo
- Kris Is Convincing Caitlyn Jenner to Return to 'KUWTK' After 'I Am Cait' Cancellation
- Lady GaGa Confirms Coachella Gig With Line-Up Photo