Cartoon Network Plans 'The Powerpuff Girls' Reboot for 2016
"The Powerpuff Girls" are back to fight crime. Cartoon Network will revive the animated series with a reboot version slated to debut in 2016. Chief content officer of the channel, Rob Sorcher, announced the plan at the 2014 Licensing Expo in Las Vegas on Monday, June 16.
"The original 'Powerpuff Girls' was a franchise phenomenon for Cartoon Network, paving the way for a new generation of innovative storytellers and enthusiastic fans worldwide," Sorcher said in a statement. "We are calling these girls back into action based upon an overwhelming demand for sugar, spice and Chemical X."
Pete Yoder, vice president of consumer products for North America, Cartoon Network Enterprises, added, "As the original ambassador of 'girl power,' The Powerpuff Girls brand continues to resonate with people of all ages and there is tremendous excitement around introducing Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup to a new generation. With proven success and great content plans in place, there's so much potential that we're looking forward to explore with our licensing partners in the coming weeks."
The action, animated series centers on three super-powered girls Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup as well as their "father", the brainy scientist Professor Utonium who live in the fictional city of Townsville. The original show ran from 1998-2005 on Cartoon Network. The channel aired a 10th anniversary special in 2009 and a CGI TV movie, "The Powerpuff Girls: Dance Pantsed", in January.
Catherine Cavadini voiced Blossom, Tara Strong lent her voice to Bubbles and EG Daily voiced Buttercup on the original series. There's no word on the voice cast for the new series, but Cartoon Network Studios will still produce the reboot version. Created by Craig McCracken, the franchise has grossed more than $2.5 billion in retail sales since its debut.
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'