Cartoon Network Plans 'The Powerpuff Girls' Reboot for 2016
"The Powerpuff Girls" are back to fight crime. Cartoon Network will revive the animated series with a reboot version slated to debut in 2016. Chief content officer of the channel, Rob Sorcher, announced the plan at the 2014 Licensing Expo in Las Vegas on Monday, June 16.
"The original 'Powerpuff Girls' was a franchise phenomenon for Cartoon Network, paving the way for a new generation of innovative storytellers and enthusiastic fans worldwide," Sorcher said in a statement. "We are calling these girls back into action based upon an overwhelming demand for sugar, spice and Chemical X."
Pete Yoder, vice president of consumer products for North America, Cartoon Network Enterprises, added, "As the original ambassador of 'girl power,' The Powerpuff Girls brand continues to resonate with people of all ages and there is tremendous excitement around introducing Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup to a new generation. With proven success and great content plans in place, there's so much potential that we're looking forward to explore with our licensing partners in the coming weeks."
The action, animated series centers on three super-powered girls Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup as well as their "father", the brainy scientist Professor Utonium who live in the fictional city of Townsville. The original show ran from 1998-2005 on Cartoon Network. The channel aired a 10th anniversary special in 2009 and a CGI TV movie, "The Powerpuff Girls: Dance Pantsed", in January.
Catherine Cavadini voiced Blossom, Tara Strong lent her voice to Bubbles and EG Daily voiced Buttercup on the original series. There's no word on the voice cast for the new series, but Cartoon Network Studios will still produce the reboot version. Created by Craig McCracken, the franchise has grossed more than $2.5 billion in retail sales since its debut.
- Evan Rachel Wood Blasts Media Over Comments About Amber Heard's Bisexuality
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'