Zendaya to Star and Sing as Aaliyah in Lifetime Movie
Zendaya Coleman will bring Aaliyah back to life in a Lifetime original movie. The Disney star has been tapped to play the late singer, who died at a young age of 22, in "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B". She will also record four of Aaliyah's songs, including some of her hit singles, for the film.
Based on slim biography "Aaliyah: More Than a Woman" by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher Farley, the biopic "follows the beautiful and talented performer's inspirational journey, from her debut on 'Star Search' at the age of ten to the challenges she faced during her rise to become the Princess of R&B. On August 25, 2001, at the height of her popularity, her life was tragically cut short when a plane carrying the singer and some of her video crew crashed after takeoff from a Bahamian runway."
To be directed by Bradley Walsh ("Turn the Beat Around") with a script written by Michael Elliot ("Brown Sugar"), the TV movie also captures the "Try Again" hitmaker's struggle to succeed in a tough business while staying grounded in the midst of her growing celebrity. Aaliyah Productions, Inc. will produce it, while Howard Braunstein and Debra Martin Chase will serve as executive producers.
Zendaya starred opposite Bella Thorne on Disney Channel's "Shake It Up" as one of the main characters. She appeared as one of the celebrity contestants on "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 and finished second. The 17-year-old actress/dancer/singer will next be seen in Disney's TV movie "Zapped" set to premiere Friday, June 27.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special