J. Cole Unveils Video for 'Lights Please' From 2009 Mixtape
J. Cole has dropped the music video for "Lights Please", a standout of his "The Warm Up" mixtape. Premiered during an MTV special airing on Sunday, June 15 to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the record, the clip was actually shot in August 2008 by director by BB Gun.
Cole initially planned to release the "Lights Please" video as part of a trilogy that included "Lost Ones" and "Simba". The visuals, however, was shelved because Cole thought it wasn't as great as his other videos at that time.
Also to celebrate the anniversary of his breakthrough mixtape, Cole released a lengthy letter in which he thanked fans for their support. "On June 15th, 2009 I released 'The Warm Up' to a few who were waiting patiently for it. Full of my dreams, fears and predictions, it resonated with you right away. Over the next year I watched it grow legs and spread at an unbelievable pace all because you felt it so much. Five years later, I couldn't be more proud of it's impact. Thank you," he wrote.
He also announced the dates of his second annual "Dollar & A Dream" tour, which is set to open on July 3 in London. The rapper will spend the rest of the month bringing the tour to some U.S. cities.
More J. Cole News
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?