HBO and 'Girls' Showrunners Fought Over 'Money Shot' Scene
"Girls" showrunners did not get a greenlight to do the controversial "money shot" scene without putting on a fight. To The Hollywood Reporter, Lena Dunham's co-showrunner Jenni Konner reveals that they had a fight with HBO over the said scene.
"The biggest fight we've ever gotten in with HBO was about a cum shot, a money shot. They thought it was really gratuitous," Konner recalls. "They begged us not to do it. We said, 'OK, fine.' "
The HBO bosses later changed their decision when the idea was proposed again for season 2. Konner says, "Then the next year, we had a story-motivated, emotional money shot, and they let us keep it. It really felt like we all grew together."
The "money shot" scene, although not the first on TV, sparked a debate whether it was too graphic on television. In his review of the episode airing on March 10, 2013, David Haglund of Slate called it "exceedingly uncomfortable sex" due to Adam's aggressive act toward his then girlfriend Natalia.
More Girls News
- Lindsay Lohan Spotted Drinking, Smoking and Showing Tiny Baby Bump During Vacation
- 'DWTS' Alum Hayes Grier's Involved in Car Crash, Brother Asks for Prayer as He's 'Pretty Busted Up'
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' Is Looking to Add This A-Lister
- Selena Gomez Is Gearing Up for New Album
- Halsey Thanks Fans for Their Support After Sharing Tragic Miscarriage Story
- Bristol Palin's Husband Dakota Meyer Slammed for Placing Gun Near Baby. See the Scary Pic
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa