Artist of the Week: Sam Smith
This has clearly been a great year for Sam Smith. The U.K. star, who found fame after being featured in Disclosure's 2012 breakthrough single called "Latch", is currently enjoying bigger success after the release of his debut album "In the Lonely Hour".
Arriving in his home country late last month, the record spent two weeks at No. 1 on U.K.'s albums chart. Smith told DigitalSpy that the album was a diary that he wrote as a way of talking about real issues in his life.
"I fell in love with someone who didn't love me back, and it made me get into this head space of, 'Will I find love? When will I find love?' " the openly gay singer explained. "This album is my 'f**k off' to everyone and basically say, 'No, I have been in love and, if anything, it was much more painful than your version,' because I'm not getting what I want and it's so close. So, it's my way of defining what is love, and how unrequited love is just as painful, just as powerful, as what we call 'normal' love."
"In the Lonely Hour" has so far spawned three hits, including "Money on My Mind" and "Stay With Me" which both peaked at the top spot of U.K.'s singles chart. The latter song, additionally, has just reached No. 10 on U.S.' Billboard 100.
Following its success in the U.K., Smith's debut set will arrive Stateside on June 17. To support the LP, he will bring his tour to several big cities in North America later this year. The 15-city jaunt is opening in Boston, MA, on September 9 and closing at Austin City Limits Festival in Austin, TX, on October 10.
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor
- Iggy Azalea's Brand New Single 'Mo Bounce' Released in Full
- Possible Leaked Concept Art of 'Deadpool 2' Features Brad Pitt as Cable
- Migos Channels Inner Rock Stars in 'What the Price' Music Video
- Adele Pays Emotional Tribute to London Terror Victims During Her Concert in New Zealand
- 'The Bachelorette' Six New Suitors Strip Down During Group Date on 'Ellen Show'