Artist of the Week: Sam Smith
This has clearly been a great year for Sam Smith. The U.K. star, who found fame after being featured in Disclosure's 2012 breakthrough single called "Latch", is currently enjoying bigger success after the release of his debut album "In the Lonely Hour".
Arriving in his home country late last month, the record spent two weeks at No. 1 on U.K.'s albums chart. Smith told DigitalSpy that the album was a diary that he wrote as a way of talking about real issues in his life.
"I fell in love with someone who didn't love me back, and it made me get into this head space of, 'Will I find love? When will I find love?' " the openly gay singer explained. "This album is my 'f**k off' to everyone and basically say, 'No, I have been in love and, if anything, it was much more painful than your version,' because I'm not getting what I want and it's so close. So, it's my way of defining what is love, and how unrequited love is just as painful, just as powerful, as what we call 'normal' love."
"In the Lonely Hour" has so far spawned three hits, including "Money on My Mind" and "Stay With Me" which both peaked at the top spot of U.K.'s singles chart. The latter song, additionally, has just reached No. 10 on U.S.' Billboard 100.
Following its success in the U.K., Smith's debut set will arrive Stateside on June 17. To support the LP, he will bring his tour to several big cities in North America later this year. The 15-city jaunt is opening in Boston, MA, on September 9 and closing at Austin City Limits Festival in Austin, TX, on October 10.
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs