Nicole Kidman Received Top Honor at Shanghai Film Festival
Nicole Kidman was full of grace as she walked the red carpet of 17th Shanghai International Film Festival opening ceremony. The 46-year-old actress was in Shanghai to promote her new movie "Grace of Monaco", which was critically panned at last month's Cannes, and to receive the outstanding contribution to film award.
"Notting Hill" star Hugh Grant and "Face/Off" director John Woo presented her with the award on Saturday, June 14. When asked about Chinese culture, she said, "I like Chinese women. I like that they're strong and they have a very good sense of humor." She added jokingly, "That's my dream, one day to play a Chinese woman."
The festival, held from June 14 to June 22, was attended by over 400 international and local film celebrities, such as Kirsten Dunst, Hayden Christensen, John Cusack, Li Bingbing, Jackie Chan, and Rain. It opened with a restored color version of the classic "Two Stage Sisters", a 1964 film about female Chinese opera singers before the Communist Revolution. It will close with "Transformers: Age of Extinction".
The 2014 festival received submissions of 1,808 for exhibition and 1,099 for various competitions, including the main Golden Goblet prize. Among the international entries are John Carney's "Begin Again" and Brad Anderson's "Eliza Graves".
Chinese actress Gong Li leads a panel of jury. "I feel incredibly honored to be able to serve as president of the jury for the Golden Goblet award and work alongside top filmmakers from around the world to discover outstanding new works that have deep human resonance," Li said in a statement.
More Nicole Kidman News
- DJ Khaled and Fiancee Nicole Tuck Welcome Baby Boy
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Solange Knowles Set to Make 'SNL' Debut
- Britney Spears Almost Flashes Her Breasts During On-Stage Wardrobe Malfunction
- 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Will Be Directed Entirely by Women
- Taylor Swift Sings Calvin Harris' Song During Her Return to Stage at Formula 1 Concert
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'