Dave Chappelle Hilariously Recalls First Encounter With Kanye West on His TV Show
Kanye West is a man full of confidence even before he's famous. That's how Dave Chappelle described the impression he got from the rapper when they met for the first time in 2003 for the taping of his hit sketch comedy program "The Dave Chappelle Show".
It was the "Black Skinhead" hitmaker's first TV appearance and he was an unknown at the time, but "you could tell that he was going to be a star," Chappelle said to Jimmy Fallon when stopping by "The Tonight Show" Friday, June 13. "I didn't know him until he did the show."
The 40-year-old comedian compared West to former heavyweight boxer champion Muhammad Ali. "It was like Muhammad Ali in Olympic Village, he just knew he was gonna get the gold," he said.
He went on recalling, "It was the day Jay-Z's 'Black Album' came out. Jay-Z says on one record, 'Kanyeezy, you's a genius. You did it again!' Kanye stood up, first time he spoke all day, and said 'Stop the record. And rewind that!' "
Later, they watched some unaired sketches in the edit room and "this is when everybody knew Kanye was going to be a star," the "Half Baked" star said. He recounted, "Kanye's phone rings and he's like, 'Hello. No, no I can't because I'm at the edit for the 'Dave Chappelle Show' watching sketches that no one's seen before. 'Cuz my life is dope and I do dope s**t.' And he hung up."
During his appearance on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon", Chappelle also talked about Prince using a picture of him imitating Prince for the singer's single "Breakfast Can Wait". "That's a Prince judo move right there," he said. "You make fun of Prince in a sketch and he'll just use you in his album cover. What am I going to do? Sue him for using a picture of me dressed up like him?"
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3