Jazz Singer Jimmy Scott Dies at 88
Jazz singer Jimmy Scott, who is known for his signature high-pitched voice, has passed away. His biographer David Ritz confirmed the sad news to Washington Post, saying that Scott passed away on Thursday, June 12 at his home in Las Vegas at the age of 88.
Scott's wife Jeanie Scott, whom he married 10 years ago, additionally told The Associated Press that her singer husband died in his sleep. "He was an Earth angel. He was different from any person I ever met. He was kind, humble. Everyone he met he made them feel special. He had a hard life, but he didn't hold any resentment," she was quoted as saying.
The late singer apparently influenced many other musicians such as Nancy Wilson, Dinah Washington, Frankie Valli and Marvin Gaye. Madonna once said, "Jimmy Scott is the only singer who makes me cry."
Scott was born on July 17, 1925 in Cleveland. He had a hereditary condition called Kallmann's syndrome which prevented him from experiencing puberty. Scott's signature voice was the result of his condition, which also affected his height. He stood 4 feet, 11 inches tall and grew a few more inches in his mid 30s.
Scott first rose to fame after taking part in Lionel Hampton Band's "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" in 1949. His name, however, was not mentioned in the credits. He released "Falling in Love Is Wonderful" in 1963 and later Grammy-nominated album "All the Way" in 1992 after being rediscovered by a music exec. Scott also made appearance on the finale of "Twin Peaks" to sing "Sycamore Trees" which was co-written with showrunner David Lynch.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support