Neil Patrick Harris Replaced by Andrew Rannells on Extended 'Hedwig' Gig
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is extended on Broadway but Neil Patrick Harris won't be available for the long engagement. The Tony-winning actor will be replaced by Andrew Rannells who became a rising star after his stint on Broadway's "The Book of Mormon".
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is fresh from taking home four trophies at the 2014 Tony Awards on June 8. The first Broadway production won Best Revival of a Musical while Harris nabbed the Best Actor in a Musical. Harris also performed his character, girlyboy who loves philosophy and rock music, at the ceremony.
The production opened in March this year and originally planned to end its limited engagement on August 17, on the day Harris officially signs off. However, the Tony victories prompted it to remain open for a couple more months.
Rannells will begin his gig on August 20 and appear on the show through October 12. The actor, who appeared on TV series "Girls" and "The New Normal", had an experience in playing the transgender rocker. He portrayed Hedwig in a 2001 production in Austin, Texas.
More Neil Patrick Harris News
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Welcome First Child
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West