Neil Patrick Harris Replaced by Andrew Rannells on Extended 'Hedwig' Gig
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is extended on Broadway but Neil Patrick Harris won't be available for the long engagement. The Tony-winning actor will be replaced by Andrew Rannells who became a rising star after his stint on Broadway's "The Book of Mormon".
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is fresh from taking home four trophies at the 2014 Tony Awards on June 8. The first Broadway production won Best Revival of a Musical while Harris nabbed the Best Actor in a Musical. Harris also performed his character, girlyboy who loves philosophy and rock music, at the ceremony.
The production opened in March this year and originally planned to end its limited engagement on August 17, on the day Harris officially signs off. However, the Tony victories prompted it to remain open for a couple more months.
Rannells will begin his gig on August 20 and appear on the show through October 12. The actor, who appeared on TV series "Girls" and "The New Normal", had an experience in playing the transgender rocker. He portrayed Hedwig in a 2001 production in Austin, Texas.
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic
- Move Out Rihanna! Drake Wakes Up Next to 'the Most Beautiful Woman' After His Birthday Party
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake