'Star Wars Episode VII' Continues Filming Despite Harrison Ford's Injury
Harrison Ford was the first casualty of "Star Wars Episode VII" filming at Pinewood Studios outside of London. The actor was airlifted on Thursday, June 12 and taken to a local hospital after sustaining injury on his ankle.
"Harrison Ford sustained an ankle injury during filming today on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII," a statement from Disney read. "He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving care. Shooting will continue as planned while he recuperates."
According to The Hollywood Reporter's source, Ford was injured by the door to the Millennium Falcon, the ship Ford's Han Solo piloted in the first "Star Wars" trilogy. The accident, that did not occur during a stunt sequence, happened reportedly after a hydraulic door fell down and hit him, possibly fracturing his ankle.
A local police report mentioned "garage door" injuring a 71-year-old man without citing Ford. A spokesman for the British Health And Safety Executive told CNN that the agency "have been made aware of an incident at Pinewood studios and are making initial enquiries."
"Star Wars Episode VII" is shooting in both England and Abu Dhabi. Director JJ Abrams recently hinted at the inclusion of Millennium Falcon in the movie, posting an Instagram photo of the hologram chessboard found inside the spacecraft. "I wish people would stop leaking photos from 'Episode VII.' And making ridiculous claims that the Millennium Falcon is in the movie," Abrams stuck a handwritten note on the chessboard.
"Episode VII" is set 30 years after the events of the 1983 film "Return of the Jedi". It will hit theaters December 18, 2015.
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama