Grumpy Cat Gets Her Own Holiday Movie on Lifetime
The Grumpy Cat is the new Christmas grinch. The Internet-famous feline is going to star in Lifetime's upcoming holiday movie titled "Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever" which centers on the titular cat.
Scripted by Tim Hill ("SpongeBob SquarePants") and Jeff Morris, it will tell the story of a pet-store cat that is perpetually overlooked and the 12-year-old girl who can communicate with her. Casting is currently underway for a voice actor who will voice the Grumpy Cat.
"It brings fun and irreverence that we haven't had at Lifetime," VP of original movies at Lifetime Arturo Interian says of the TV movie. "We're so known for our heartfelt sentimentality that it will poke fun at those stereotypes." He describes the project as "a little 'Home Alone' and a little 'Die Hard'," adding that it will feature cameos from other famous Internet memes.
Shooting will take place later this summer and the movie is expected to premiere this Christmas season.
The Grumpy Cat, whose real name is Tardar Sauce, became an Internet meme in 2012 after her owner Tabatha Bundesen's brother posted a photo on Reddit. She has spawned a book and a coffee product, and made appearances on "American Idol" and the MTV Movie Awards.
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton