Grumpy Cat Gets Her Own Holiday Movie on Lifetime
The Grumpy Cat is the new Christmas grinch. The Internet-famous feline is going to star in Lifetime's upcoming holiday movie titled "Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever" which centers on the titular cat.
Scripted by Tim Hill ("SpongeBob SquarePants") and Jeff Morris, it will tell the story of a pet-store cat that is perpetually overlooked and the 12-year-old girl who can communicate with her. Casting is currently underway for a voice actor who will voice the Grumpy Cat.
"It brings fun and irreverence that we haven't had at Lifetime," VP of original movies at Lifetime Arturo Interian says of the TV movie. "We're so known for our heartfelt sentimentality that it will poke fun at those stereotypes." He describes the project as "a little 'Home Alone' and a little 'Die Hard'," adding that it will feature cameos from other famous Internet memes.
Shooting will take place later this summer and the movie is expected to premiere this Christmas season.
The Grumpy Cat, whose real name is Tardar Sauce, became an Internet meme in 2012 after her owner Tabatha Bundesen's brother posted a photo on Reddit. She has spawned a book and a coffee product, and made appearances on "American Idol" and the MTV Movie Awards.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie