Tony Awards to Exclude Sound Engineer Trophies Next Year
With the 2014 Tony Awards' curtain down, the Tony Awards Administration Committee met for an evaluation on Wednesday, June 11. It has been determined that two trophies will be eliminated from the competitive list next season.
According to the Associated Press, Broadway's sound designers achievements are being dropped. After a review on the eligibility rules, Best Sound Design of a Play and Best Sound Design of a Musical will be excluded from the 2014-2015 season and afterwards.
However, it is still possible for sound designers to receive a Tony award. A special award may be given "when it determines that extraordinary sound design has been achieved."
In addition, the committee also determined that plays and musicals that have not been previously produced on Broadway, but have been determined by them to be part of the popular repertoire will be included, along with producers in the Best Revival of a Play/Musical categories.
Brian Ronan was the last winner of the musical sound design award for his work in "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical". Steve Canyon Kennedy took the play category for "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill".
- Khloe Kardashian Will Stop Scott Disick From Ruining Kourtney's Life
- Kim Kardashian Says Kanye West, Not Monica Rose, Was Responsible for Her Style Transformation
- 'Gotham': Get First Glimpse of Ra's Al Ghul in Season 3 Finale Preview
- Ivanka Trump Gets Blasted for Insensitive 'Champagne Popsicle' Tweet on Memorial Day
- Leonardo DiCaprio Spotted With Leggy Models in Monaco
- 2 Chainz Reveals 'Pretty Girls Like Trap Music' Track List, Shares New Song '4 AM' Ft. Travis Scott
- Is Katy Perry Romancing Calvin Harris to Get Back at Taylor Swift?
- Miley Cyrus Makes Liam Hemsworth Jealous Over Her Pampering Sessions With Pet Pig