'Star Wars' Spin-Off Confirmed to Film in U.K.
Following the footsteps of "Star Wars Episode VII" which is filmed in the U.K., the upcoming spin-off also picks the country for filming. The announcement was made by Chancellor George Osborne on Twitter Tuesday, June 10 after visiting the movie set earlier.
"On set of Episode VII tonight, can announce another #StarWars film will be made in U.K. A #LongTermEconomicPlan in a galaxy far far away," he captioned a picture of him posing with director J.J. Abrams, Lucasfilm President Kathy Kennedy, and the iconic R2-D2.
"Lucasfilm and Disney's decision to shoot the Star Wars standalone movie in the U.K. is testament to the incredible talent in Britain," Osborne said. "This will mean more jobs and more investment. It is great news for people working at Pinewood Studios, from the set designers to the carpenters."
"As Chancellor I have been determined that we back our brilliant creative industries which is why we have invested in skills and training as well as providing tax relief for films, high-end TV, animation, video games and regional theatre."
"The further changes the government made to the film tax relief at Budget 2014 will support our highly skilled, innovative creative sectors so that they continue to thrive and encourage more films to be made in the U.K.," the official added.
"Star Wars Episode VII" is due December 18, 2015. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o, and John Boyega are among the cast. The first standalone film will follow on December 16, 2016 with Gareth Edwards as a director. Another spin-off is set to be helmed by Josh Trank.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences