'Sonic' Gets Live-Action and CG Animation Hybrid Film
Sonic the hedgehog is going to get a big screen treatment. Sony Pictures Entertainment has teamed up with SEGA Sammy Group division Marza Animation Planet to develop a semi live-action film based on the video game icon.
Evan Susser and Van Robichaux, the team behind Kanye West-produced "The Jetsons" remake, will write the script for "Sonic". It will be a hybrid of live-action and CG animation. Sony is hoping that the film will be a lunching platform for an ongoing franchise.
"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog, and a built-in international fan base," Sony's Hannah Minghella said in a statement. "Along with our wonderful creative partners at Marza, we're looking to capture everything that generations of fans know and love about Sonic while also growing his audience wider than ever before."
Marza CEO Masanao Maeda added, "Sonic has had dozens of adventures on the console and the small screen, and we're thrilled that he's now coming to the big screen. Sony Pictures has had great success with hybrid animated and live-action features, and we're confident that this collaboration will bring a fresh take to Sonic, while still capturing everything that the fans love about him."
Neal H. Moritz will produce through his Original Film banner, along with Marza's Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher will serve as an executive producer.
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' Release Pushed Back to Winter 2017
- Amber Heard Claims Police Lie About Finding No Evidence to Protect Johnny Depp
- 'Mary Poppins Returns' Gets Christmas Release Date and Official Synopsis
- Khloe Kardashian Cozying Up to Odell Beckham Jr. at Drake's Memorial Day Party
- Keira Knightley Defended by Directors and Fellow Stars After John Carney Trashed Her
- Jena Malone and Boyfriend Welcome Baby Boy - Meet Baby Ode!
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'