'Sonic' Gets Live-Action and CG Animation Hybrid Film
Sonic the hedgehog is going to get a big screen treatment. Sony Pictures Entertainment has teamed up with SEGA Sammy Group division Marza Animation Planet to develop a semi live-action film based on the video game icon.
Evan Susser and Van Robichaux, the team behind Kanye West-produced "The Jetsons" remake, will write the script for "Sonic". It will be a hybrid of live-action and CG animation. Sony is hoping that the film will be a lunching platform for an ongoing franchise.
"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog, and a built-in international fan base," Sony's Hannah Minghella said in a statement. "Along with our wonderful creative partners at Marza, we're looking to capture everything that generations of fans know and love about Sonic while also growing his audience wider than ever before."
Marza CEO Masanao Maeda added, "Sonic has had dozens of adventures on the console and the small screen, and we're thrilled that he's now coming to the big screen. Sony Pictures has had great success with hybrid animated and live-action features, and we're confident that this collaboration will bring a fresh take to Sonic, while still capturing everything that the fans love about him."
Neal H. Moritz will produce through his Original Film banner, along with Marza's Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher will serve as an executive producer.
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week
- Three Potential Directors Lined Up to Helm 'Captain Marvel'
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Maksim Chmerkovskiy Will Return, Ryan Lochte Is in Talks for Season 23
- Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie for Her Birthday After Partying With Bronte Blampied
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform 'Side to Side' at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Inside Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Proposal Plans