Donald Sterling Refuses to Sell the Clippers, Pursues Lawsuit Against NBA
After previously agreeing to sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion, Donald Sterling now declares that "The Team Is Not for Sale." The 80-year-old billionaire also pursues a $1 billion lawsuit against NBA for breach of contract and violation of his constitutional rights. He said the League used "illegal" recordings to force him to sell the team.
"From the onset, I did not want to sell the Los Angeles Clippers," he said in a statement. "I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights. While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled. I love the team and have dedicated 33 years of my life to the organization. I intend to fight to keep the team."
Sterling was pressured by the League to let go his ownership of the Clippers after he was entangled in a racism scandal. He was caught on tape during an argument with his then-girlfriend slamming her for broadcasting her association with black people. His estranged wife Shelly who co-owns the team has reached a deal to sell the team to Microsoft's ex-CEO Steve Ballmer.
Sterling was also banned from NBA for life and ordered to pay a $2.5 million fine.
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'