Sigourney Weaver Confirmed to Play New Character in 'Avatar' Sequels
Sigourney Weaver is already set to return for all "Avatar" sequels, and now James Cameron explains how he will bring back the actress since her character met her demise in the first movie. The director says Weaver will play a different role in next installments.
"Sigourney and I have a long creative history, dating back to 1985 when we made Aliens. We're good friends who've always worked well together, so it just feels right that she's coming back for the Avatar sequels," Cameron said in a statement as quoted by THR.
"Her character of Grace Augustine, as fans know, died in the first movie, so she's playing a different and in many ways more challenging character in the upcoming films. We're both looking forward to this new creative challenge, the latest chapter in our long and continuing collaboration."
The actress herself said of her return to the franchise, "It will be challenging for me. I can't talk about it, but my part is a little different in each one. I'll transform somewhat. We'll have to talk again when I survive this. For now, I'm going to skittle around and enjoy this leisure time."
"Avatar 2" is due December 2016, "Avatar 3" is scheduled for December 2017, and "Avatar 4" is planned for 2018. Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are signed on to reprise their roles as Jake Sully and Princess Neytiri respectively, while Stephen Lang will be back as Colonel Quaritch.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival