Sigourney Weaver Confirmed to Play New Character in 'Avatar' Sequels
Sigourney Weaver is already set to return for all "Avatar" sequels, and now James Cameron explains how he will bring back the actress since her character met her demise in the first movie. The director says Weaver will play a different role in next installments.
"Sigourney and I have a long creative history, dating back to 1985 when we made Aliens. We're good friends who've always worked well together, so it just feels right that she's coming back for the Avatar sequels," Cameron said in a statement as quoted by THR.
"Her character of Grace Augustine, as fans know, died in the first movie, so she's playing a different and in many ways more challenging character in the upcoming films. We're both looking forward to this new creative challenge, the latest chapter in our long and continuing collaboration."
The actress herself said of her return to the franchise, "It will be challenging for me. I can't talk about it, but my part is a little different in each one. I'll transform somewhat. We'll have to talk again when I survive this. For now, I'm going to skittle around and enjoy this leisure time."
"Avatar 2" is due December 2016, "Avatar 3" is scheduled for December 2017, and "Avatar 4" is planned for 2018. Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are signed on to reprise their roles as Jake Sully and Princess Neytiri respectively, while Stephen Lang will be back as Colonel Quaritch.
More Avatar 2 News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal