Taye Diggs on Idina Menzel Split: 'It Was Easy for People to Root for Us'
Taye Diggs talks about his split from Idina Menzel in an interview with RedBook. The actor, who is promoting his new TNT show "Murder in the First", is asked about his opinion on people's reaction after they learned that he and the stage actress called it quits last December after 10 years of marriage.
In the interview, Diggs says that he knew that many people would be heartbroken following the breakup news. "I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when I thought, 'Oh, man, people are going to trip out [if we split],' " he shares.
"Maybe they thought it was cute that we met in 'Rent'. There weren't a lot of couples like us in the theater community - and I know there aren't a lot of performers as talented as she is... and then you have the whole mixed [race] thing. It was easy for people to root for us," he explains. "Right now, we're still trying to figure out a lot of stuff because we're on different coasts and our son is getting older."
Diggs then continues talking about his 4-year-old son Walker, saying that he loves it when the boy calls him "Daddy" or his expression when he picks him up from school. The 43-year-old star additionally admits that he feels a bit sad when he has to spend some days away from Walker because of work. "You can do whatever with your own life, but when it comes to someone else's, who is your blood, it's a level of vulnerability that I wasn't - that I'm still not - prepared for," he says.
- Backstreet Boys to Reunite With Florida Georgia Line for 'CMT Crossroads'
- Justin Bieber: Out-of-Work Crew Are Not My Responsibility
- Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Does Kim Know? Kanye West Caught Leaving Studio With Nearly Naked Woman
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'
- Goo Hara Is Accused of Smoking Marijuana After Posting a Photo of Hand-Rolled Cigarette