Judge Says Casey Kasem Should Be Fed, Hydrated and Medicated
A judge has sided with Casey Kasem's wife in regard to his treatment. On Monday, June 9, Los Angeles Superior Court Daniel Murphy said that the ailing radio personality should be fed, hydrated and medicated while a court-appointed attorney evaluated his condition.
The decision was taken after a lawyer for Casey's wife Jean accused the radio legend's daughter Kerri Kasem of hastening his death by denying him food, water and treatment. As reported by The Associated Press, Kerri's attorney Troy Martin argued that decision to take end-of-life measures was made after Kerri consulted doctors.
According to the doctors, feeding and hydrating caused pain for the 82-year-old Casey, who is in critical condition at Washington state hospital. Casey, who voiced Shaggy in "Scooby Doo", has been suffering from Lewy body disease, which is a form of dementia.
During the Monday court meeting, Jean asked the judge to restore her role as the radio personality's caretaker. She also supported the ruling, saying, "Only God knows when to take someone."
After the court session, Jean's lawyer Steve Haney said that Kerri's financial difficulties contributed to the end-of-life measures. "She's in a pretty serious economic situation that would be dramatically improved as the result of her father's death," he said, as quoted by CNN. According to Haney, Kerri "could cash in immediately" her share of a life insurance policy if he dies. Martin, however, said that Kerri is "solely concerned about the health of her father."
The next court meeting has been scheduled for Friday when the judge will receive update on Casey's condition.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival