'The Young Ones' Star Rik Mayall Dies at 56
Rik Mayall, one of the pioneers of British alternative comedy in 1980s, died on June 9, at 56. His management announced that Rik passed away in his house in London on Monday, without stating the cause.
The British comedian was born in Essex, England, in 1958 and was famous for his role on "The Young Ones", an anarchic and offbeat comedy about four college students who lived in a battered old house. The sitcom helped alternative comedy shoot to fame in 1980s.
Rik was the part of comedian group, Comic Strip, who had a sketch series on Chanell 4 in the U.K. from 1982 to 1988. The group also included Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders and Rik's longtime comedy partner, Adrian Edmondson, who also starred with Rik on "The Young Ones".
Adrian recalled his time with Rik after learning of Rik's death, "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree, stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."
Previously in 1998, Rik had an accident after riding a quad bike near his house in Devon which caused him to be put into coma. He was sent to the hospital with two haematomas and a fractured skull. At that time, he was told that he could die or had brain damage. He resumed working not long after he gained consciousness until recently.
"The main difference between now and before my accident is I'm just very glad to be alive. Other people get moody in their 40s and 50s-men get the male menopause. I missed the whole thing. I was just really happy," Rik said, being thankful about his life after accident last year.
The winner of Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance in 1997 is survived by his wife, Barbara Robbin, and three children.
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance