Artist of the Week: Jack White
Jack White, who has made music as a member of The White Stripes, The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather throughout his career, scored his first No. 1 album on Billboard 200 with his first solo album, 2012's "Blunderbuss". Now he plans to repeat the success with his sophomore solo set which is scheduled to come out on June 10.
Titled "Lazaretto", it was recorded when White was on a tour to support his chart-topping album. Earlier this year, he released an instrumental track called "High Ball Stepper" as the first offering from his new project. He later announced that title track "Lazaretto" would serve as the album's lead single. Another song "Just One Drink" was premiered last month.
White admitted that he had some difficulties recording new songs for the LP. "I recorded the music and I didn't write vocal parts or lyrics for some of them for maybe seven or eight months... I'd become disconnected with the music. [It was hard] to start thinking about what stories make sense and what characters can be involved in this," he recently told NPR.
However, he managed to finish it thanks to some writings he did when he was 19. "I had these one-act plays and whatever they were, poems. They weren't very good. They were just sort of by a person without any experience in life, but with a lot of fire inside of me - I couldn't wait to break out of the house and get something done, go somewhere, see something," he continued.
"I think I'm just going to throw away all of these and keep one or two of them that were interesting. And then I thought, before I do that, why don't I pull some of these characters out, some of these names, some of these sentences, and work with them? And I did. And it became a way to collaborate with my younger self. That's how I'll do these vocals on these songs: I'm going to collaborate with a 19-year-old version of me," he added.
"Lazaretto" will arrive via White's own label Third Man Records. Over the weekend, the 38-year-old musician made an appearance at the Governors Ball to perform some songs from his forthcoming album as well as his 2012 studio effort. He also performed several White Stripes and Raconteurs tracks during the event.
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4
- Drake's 'Views' Gets Quadruple-Platinum Certification
- Jimmy Kimmel Selected to Host 2017 Academy Awards
- Back on? Ryan Seacrest Spotted on Romantic Bike Ride With Ex Shayna Taylor in Venice
- Swoon Alert! Michelle Williams and James Van Der Beek Have 'Dawson's Creek' Mini Reunion
- Taylor Lautner Caught Making Out With His 'Scream Queens' Co-Star Billie Lourd
- Liam Payne's Facebook Is Hacked With Porn Images of Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry
- Optimus Prime Wants to Kill Bumblebee in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' First Teaser Trailer