Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez Named Miss USA 2014
The winner of Miss USA 2014 has been revealed. Miss Neveada Nia Sanchez is crowned with the title after defeating 50 contestants at the annual competition which was broadcast from the Baton Rouge Civic Center in Louisiana. She took the crown from last year's winner Erin Brady.
During the Sunday, June 8 event, Miss Iowa and Florida were announced as the fifth and fourth runner-up respectively, while the third runner-up was Louisiana and the second was Georgia. Audra Mari, a representative from North Dakota, became the first runner-up.
Giuliana Rancic and Thomas Roberts hosted the competition which aired on NBC. Karl Malone, Ian Ziering, Lance Bass, Rumer Willis, Allie LaForce, Dolvett Quince, Barbara Palacios, Randy Couture and Melissa Peterman were judges at this year's pageant. Florida Georgia Line and Nelly were among the musical guests.
Willis asked Sanchez's opinion on reports regarding sexual violence in campuses during the Q&A session. "I believe that some colleges may potentially be afraid of having a bad reputation and that would be a reason it could be swept under the rug, because they don't want that to come out in public," Sanchez explained.
"More awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves," the taekwondo expert added. "Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned at a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that's something we should really implement for a lot of women."
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story