Tony Awards 2014: Hugh Jackman Bounces His Way to Stage in Opening Number
Hugh Jackman kicked off the 68th Annual Tony Awards with a hop-filled opening number. It began with him posing for photographers on the red carpet outside Radio City Music Hall and ditching his white suit before he started bouncing his way to the stage, only to say "bye" to the audience after a dancer put a black suit on him.
He kept bouncing on his way to the backstage, where he met musical performer Sting. He jumped rope for a while before entering an elevator where he met Neil Patrick Harris. The two had an awkward chat and later Jackman met a grumpy Clint Eastwood.
The 2014 Tony host also greeted the casts of such shows as "Rocky", "Aladdin", and "Beautiful" before he's finally back on the stage. He introduced a performance from the musical "After Midnight" before delivering his monologue.
"Tonight is a celebration of Broadway, the only place you can see Rocky in a boxing ring, Bryan Cranston in the Oval Office, and Wolverine in tap shoes," the Australian actor said. Joking about frequent Tony host Harris who tweeted, "Wow, that's fantastic!" when he learned that Jackman would host the Tonys this year, the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" star said, "I assume that's what WTF means, Neil, right?"
He also tackled gay marriage issue, saying that Harvey Fierstein's play "Casa Valentina" about cross-dressing in the Catskills "highlights the tension between married men who cross dress and the gay community, two sides that never understood each other. It's kind of like people who are against same-sex marriage and people who mind their own business."
- Louis Tomlinson Blasts Media, Asks Them to Respect Son's Privacy Amid Custody Battle
- Iggy Azalea Receives Flowers From Nick Young's Teammate D'Angelo Russell After Breakup?
- Daniel Radcliffe Plays Corpse on Red Carpet of 'Swiss Army Man' Premiere
- Matthew McConaughey Could Be Your Teacher. Actor Is Going to Teach at University of Texas
- Drake 'Never Stops' Loving Rihanna
- 'Underworld: Blood Wars' Release Date Is Pushed Back to 2017
- Amber Rose on Kanye West's 'Famous': 'I've Worked My F***ing Ass Off'
- Kris Jenner, 60, Is Reportedly Trying for Another Baby