Yaya DaCosta Lands Lead Role in Lifetime's Whitney Houston Biopic
Yaya DaCosta is set to play Whitney Houston in an upcoming TV movie for Lifetime, TVLine confirms. Oscar-nominated actress Angela Bassett ("American Horror Story") will serve as a director, while Shem Bitterman is tapped as a screenwriter for the biopic which is due in 2015.
The film "chronicles the headline-making relationship between the iconic singer, actress, producer and model, and singer, songwriter Bobby Brown - from the time they first met at the very height of their celebrity, to their courtship and tumultuous marriage. Throughout it all, difficulties followed the superstar couple while they dealt with the overwhelming rewards and consequences of the fame and fortune created by Whitney's meteoric rise that would soon overshadow them both."
DaCosta, now 31, got her big break after finishing second in Cycle 3 of "America's Next Top Model". She made her acting debut in 2005 in an episode of TV show "Eve" and first starred in a feature film the next year in "Take the Lead". Her other acting credits included "All My Children", "Ugly Betty", "House M.D.", "The Kids Are All Right", and "Lee Daniels' The Butler".
- Donald Glover Officially Cast as Young Lando Calrissian in 'Han Solo' Movie
- Perrie Edwards Was Left Homeless After Nasty Split From Zayn Malik
- Azealia Banks Pens Apology Letter to Zayn Malik
- Weird Al Turns Final Presidential Debate Into Song Called 'Bad Hombres, Nasty Women'
- Chris Pine and Gugu Mbatha-Raw Join the Cast of Disney's 'A Wrinkle in Time'
- Judge Approves Taylor Swift's Request to Seal Her Groping Photo
- Angelina Jolie Already 'Misses' Brad Pitt, Is Having 'Second Thoughts' About Divorce
- Watch Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn Parody Beyonce's 'Formation' Video