Yaya DaCosta Lands Lead Role in Lifetime's Whitney Houston Biopic
Yaya DaCosta is set to play Whitney Houston in an upcoming TV movie for Lifetime, TVLine confirms. Oscar-nominated actress Angela Bassett ("American Horror Story") will serve as a director, while Shem Bitterman is tapped as a screenwriter for the biopic which is due in 2015.
The film "chronicles the headline-making relationship between the iconic singer, actress, producer and model, and singer, songwriter Bobby Brown - from the time they first met at the very height of their celebrity, to their courtship and tumultuous marriage. Throughout it all, difficulties followed the superstar couple while they dealt with the overwhelming rewards and consequences of the fame and fortune created by Whitney's meteoric rise that would soon overshadow them both."
DaCosta, now 31, got her big break after finishing second in Cycle 3 of "America's Next Top Model". She made her acting debut in 2005 in an episode of TV show "Eve" and first starred in a feature film the next year in "Take the Lead". Her other acting credits included "All My Children", "Ugly Betty", "House M.D.", "The Kids Are All Right", and "Lee Daniels' The Butler".
More Whitney News
- Miranda Lambert Already Plans to Get Married to Anderson East?
- New 'Max Steel' Trailer Highlights the Superhero's Origin
- Selena Gomez Reportedly Enters Rehab After Drug Abuse due to Christina Grimmie's Death
- Rick Ross Is Gearing Up for His Next Collab With Skrillex
- 'America's Got Talent' First Five Finalists of Season 21 Revealed
- Chris Brown Accuser Told Her Friend Singer's 'About to Go Down' After Alleged Gun Incident
- 'Game of Thrones' Casts First New Addition for Season 7
- P. Diddy Teases Snippet of Cassie's New Single 'Make Up'